Monday, January 14, 2013

My Prayer for My Daughter

 
 
 
     I haven't posted in about 2 months, and during that time, we received very exciting news. It's a girl! I never expected the ultrasound tech to say those words. We have 2 boys. My husband is 1 of 3 boys. His dad is 1 of 5 boys. You get the idea. A girl was unexpected! But very welcome!
 
     The first thing I've done in all three pregnancies from the time we find out I'm pregnant is to pray for the child. Now that we know we are having a girl, my prayers are much different than they were with my boys!

     The most important thing any parent could pray for their child is that they will accept Jesus at a young age and be saved. I pray that my daughter and sons will answer Him the first time the Holy Spirit tugs at their hearts and live their lives with the desire to follow His will.

     I pray that she will be ladylike and feminine. I often think of the older ladies I know who are nearing the ends of their lives and of those who have already passed on and wonder who's going to take their place. It seems to be an insult to most to be called a lady nowadays. Most women want to be seen as being strong as any man. I pray my daughter will embrace her femininity. I pray for myself that I will be a good mentor in this area of her life!

     I pray that she will desire to be a homemaker. I hope she will find joy in maintaining her home in the physical and emotional sense and that she will be fulfilled by these things, not seeking fulfillment in a career outside the home. I truly love my role as keeper of the home and pray she (and my boys) will always be able to see that.

     I pray that she will be discreet. What is it with loud mouthed women? I can't really think of anything worse in a social setting than being stuck with a woman who has no filter on her mouth. One who seems to think she needs to be loud, rude, and say everything that pops into her head. There is nothing discreet about her. I have seen husbands embarassed by their wives' mouths many times.  I pray that my daughter never be one of those women. That she will understand the strength and beauty in knowing when to keep her thoughts to herself.

     I pray that she will desire to be a mother. I pray that her greatest joy in life will be raising children to fear the Lord. That she will want them at home with her to guard and train.

     I pray that she wait on the Lord to send her a Christian husband. I dated when I was a teenager and can vouch for the scars it leaves behind. I even almost fell into a marriage that would have definitely been miserable. I knew from the moment I said "yes" that it was not what God wanted for me. So many divorces could have been prevented if the couple had just waited on the Lord to bring them their spouse instead of going out and looking for him/her. I knew from the moment my husband and I started dating that it was "right", but how much pain could I have saved myself if I had waited patiently for Lord to bring him into my life? I pray that she will wait on God and enter marriage with her heart "unscarred".

     My list could go on and on! I truly believe the prayers we send up for our children make a big difference in shaping their lives. Of course, we can't merely pray for them and sit back and do nothing. I know that I have a huge responsibility ahead of me! I cannot expect her to be any of the things I desire for her if I don't first model it for her everyday. I am so far from perfect in so many aspects. I am so thankful for a merciful God who forgives me time and time again when I fail and pray that my children will see past my faults as well and see a mother who loves them so very much.



 
 

Photobucket
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. These are really sweet. Perhaps you could make a tradition with her to pray for these things every night as she grows or maybe make her a book with pictures and these prayers to read to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!!

    (My daughter is almost 7 months old now...)

    ReplyDelete