Monday, July 2, 2012

Enjoying the Blessings

Source

We just bought a new home, and that picture pretty much sums up the way I feel! I absolutely love this house and where it's located. I love the beautiful kitchen and fenced-in backyard. I am extremely blessed beyond anything I deserve and in need of nothing.

So why is that when we have everything we need, we still desire more?

When you move into a house that's about 1000sq ft bigger than your last, you start to realize there are things you "need". I "need" a few throw rugs to go here, here, and there. I "need" some pretty containers for the cream and sugar so it can be displayed by the coffee maker. And since we have such a lovely back deck, I "need" a porch swing to make it complete.

Does that sound about right?

Well, I won't be getting any of those pretty extras anytime soon. Until a renter is found for our old house, we are carrying two mortgages. Ouch. Our real estate agent assured us that HE could find a renter within "a week tops" (those are his words). It has been a month now, and the old house is still vacant. That was HIS timetable not God's.


 "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart:
wait, I say, on the Lord." Psalm 27:14

I know that God is in control of every single aspect of our lives. He knows that I could so easily get worried about the situation and let it consume me, but He wants me to lay it at His feet. He knows our finances. He is the one who has blessed us with everything we have. And in this case, I know he's blessing me by not giving me those extras. I am made to stop and enjoy the blessings that He has already given me.

 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." Philippians 4:6

Case in point #2, the dishwasher is messed up. I HATE doing dishes. But with one my favorite conveniences out of play, I am forced to wash the dishes by hand and really notice what a lovely view I have outside the windows by the sink. I wouldn't be enjoying that serene view if I didn't have to slow down and take it all in. I wouldn't be able to see the forest through all the trees, so to speak.

It all reminds me of my son's birthday about 6 weeks ago. We bought him this really neat video game for the Wii called Skylanders. The game has a bunch of different characters you can purchase to go along with it. Each character plays the game differently.
Source
He unwrapped the present and was over the top excited! His daddy got it set up for him and in no time, he was playing. After maybe 15 minutes, he realized the extra guys were shown on the back of the package, and he let us know which ones he wanted now.

More? We just bought you this super cool game that you haven't even fully enjoyed and you want something else to go with it?!

Of course as his mother, I told him that no he would not be getting all that extra stuff anytime soon. I wanted him to appreciate what we had given him.

It seems at twenty something I would be wiser than my 4 year old. I did the same thing he did, and my Father had to put things into perspective for me too.

I'm still learning and grateful for a patient God who knows that. I am going to enjoy the blessings that God has bestowed on his undeserving child and try to make sure to thank Him the way I should knowing that all things happen in His time not mine.





I am linked up at


Photobucket


2 comments:

  1. Love your perspective on this... Crazy how much like our preschoolers we can act sometimes, no? Studying the Israelites this summer and am reminded that during those times when we are confronted with extremely finite resources how - as you so rightly pointed out - it blesses us because it teaches us dependence on the true source of all blessings. Thanks for this great reminder. Your house will sell - in his perfect time...but for your sake I sure hope it sells SOON! Have a blessed week, enjoying your beautiful new home.
    -Jeannette (visiting from What Joy is Mine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes. One of the lines that are consistently quoted in this house is '"the eyes of a man are never satisfied". It seems as soon as they/we get what we want, then it's not good enough any more. My children, too, often give me a lesson from the Father's perspective. After certain dealings with them I find myself asking the Father, wow, do I behave this way to you? do I do this to you? Thank God for his compassion and grace.

    ReplyDelete